Smithers Lumber Yard Ltd.

Smithers Lumber


Benjamin Moore

Paint and Stain

Learn More

Taiga Select

Pressure Treated Lumber

Learn More

Crane Truck Services

Delivery Service Available On Request - Inquire In-Store

Contact Us

Dealing in local lumber for over a century

Always committed to quality

View Our Lumber

Our history dates back to 1913

Previous owners Fowler and Collison ~ 1936

Read More

Company Profile

Company Profile image

Smithers Lumber Yard was founded as Williams-Carr Lumber Company in 1913. It was a major supplier for the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway that was slowly making its way north. A year later, in 1914, George Little took ownership of the business, adding it to his chain of George Little Lumber Yards. A.C. Fowler managed the store for a few years, and then in 1936, he and R.J. Collison took over from Mr. Little. Under this new ownership the store was renamed the Smithers Lumber Yard.

Three Hofsink brothers, (Fred, Bill, and George,) bought the company in 1965. Since then it has remained in the Hofsink family; Fred’s three sons took over in 1998, and since 2013 it has been under the sole ownership of Harry, the second oldest son. 


The Lumber Yard has thrived since the day it opened, and remains popular with competitive prices and personalized service. Today it employs around 20-30 people, and continues in its small-town support, donating to local causes and giving back to the community. 

Our Brands

Contact Us

Fill out the form below and we'll get back to you as soon as possible